Groundhog Day

Life really is full of repetition.  It seems to be the same old thing, day after day. Be honest, how often do you feel like you are repeating things over and over and over again?

Just like that great movie Groundhog Day, when Punxsutawney Phil makes an appearance to decide if winter is coming to an end or not, Bill Murray lives the same day over and over again.  Despite its comedic theme, the film does make a good point that our lives do seem to be stuck living the same old scene.

To make my point, I will give you an overview of how most of my days go.  Normally the weekdays rather than weekends, where there is a bit of flexibility.

On most workdays I take my two daughters to their school which is about a 7 minute walk from where we live.  We really have to leave home at 8am, to ensure that I can catch a train to work and get there at a respectable time. Nine times out of ten, this is never the case.  Even though I am ready, my daughters hardly ever are!

After dropping my girls off at their Primary School, I swiftly make my way to the railway station.  On the way, I take a short cut past the local library.  Every day I see two teenage schoolkids - one a boy and one a girl embracing each other and kissing.  They go to different schools judging by their uniforms.  The first view I have that they are there is when I see their school backpacks on the floor.  Young love is great, I wonder if their pre-tempestuous relationship will last?

About 10 metres on I always come across a middle-aged man.  He is overweight and is normally smoking a cigarette.  By the look on his face it would seem that he has the worries of the world on his shoulders. He is always deep in thought.  Is he thinking about his troubled relationship? Is he worried about his children? Or does he have a pile of impossible work deadlines? Who knows.  In truth, who cares?  He does carry a briefcase.  I often wonder if he is a hen-pecked accountant. 

I walk on and get to the railway station.  Within minutes I am on the train heading to the city.  Every time I try and find a seat I come across a couple of obstacles.  Sometimes I have to ask a  female to mover her handbag so that I can sit down.  Quite often there will be a sigh from the woman as she begrudgingly moves her (non-ticket paying) bag before I can sit!

On other occasions I come across a passenger who has a seat but wants to take over most of another seat.  In this case, I do get to sit down, but end up feeling like a sardine in a can.  Often, if you ask them to move over, they will move the barest minimum of distance.

 Once I reach my destination, I alight from the train and form a human (or is it sheep) line to get through the ticket gates.  There I see an Asian lady, probably in her late thirties,holding a photo of herself, and I guess her mother.  When I first saw her I thought she was waiting for her mother - who, presumably, had just arrived in Australia.  However, having seen this Asian lady many times with the same photo, it became obvious to me that this is not the case.  

Maybe she is waiting, in false hope, that her mother is going to get off a train and find her.  I hope she does.  It would satisfy my curiosity.  I often have felt like asking the Asian lady what she is doing.  However, I am a morning zombie like most others.

So there you go.  Groundhog Day over and over again. I am sure you, dear reader, can totally empathise with me on this!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

1,000 hits and more to come!

Stalking by Bluetooth