Deja Vu - not this time (Hopefully)!

"the day in question is not the world paper clip flicking championships either...and an Argentine whom I refuse to name (the pain lingers on)"

May 14th will be a special day for a number of people in England, and also around the world. It will, hopefully, be a special day for me too. Before I go on, no, it's not my birthday. Mine is much later in the year. Send me a message if you want to know when it is, as I love getting presents on my big day!


The day in question is also not the world paper clip flicking championships either. It is, however, the day of the FA Cup final between my beloved Manchester City and their opponents Stoke City.

The reason why I am excited is not just because my team is in the final, and hopefully will win the cup, but because they hardly ever win anything!

Let's take a look at the record books:

Last Major Trophy win: 1976 League Cup v Newcastle United (who can forget Tueart's goal).

Last League Title win: 1968
Last FA Cup win: 1969


So you can see unlike their neighbours (Manchester United), winning trophies is not a common occurrence for City. Also, the last time Manchester City reached an FA Cup final was in 1981. I remember it well. City deserved to win but were pipped in a replay by Tottenham Hotspur and an Argentine whom I refuse to name (the pain lingers on).


I mention this as another event happened that year. 1981 was the year that the UK had a Royal Wedding. In case you have been living under a rock for the past 30 years, or part thereof, Prince Charles married Diana Spencer.

Similarly, 2011 has seen another Royal Wedding. A couple of days ago Prince William married Kate Middleton. Now Kate (or Catherine) is the Duchess of Cambridge.


Will the Royal Wedding curse strike Manchester City again? I hope not. I do not want it to be a case of deja vu. I also do not want it to be 30 years before the next FA Cup final appearance for my team!


I'll leave you with another thought, and a piece of trivia. My home town appeared in the first ever FA Cup final in 1872 but sadly lost 2-1. Where am i from? answers on a postcard to.....or an email will suffice!


C'mon City!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

1,000 hits and more to come!

Stalking by Bluetooth