Pizza's Galore!

"has this endearing compulsion to nominate their husbands for virtually anything (except wearing a Koala outfit in the middle of Sydney on a hot summers day)...By now I was working up a sweat. I was running from one part of the stage to another with a bag in one hand and pizza slices in the other"


Both No Worries and I are on the local school organising committee where our gals attend. It is a lot of fun but also a lot of organising to do as well. Normally there are about 3 major events in the school year that we have to work on.

One night I came home from work and was advised by No Worries that she had "volunteered" my services to help out the year 6 parents with a fund raising pizza day. Now when I heard this two thoughts entered my head immediately. Firstly, our gals are not in year 6, and secondly, what did she mean by volunteering?

The day in question was one where I had a few things on and I was not sure I could help, let alone wanted to! However, No Worries advised me that she had only suggested that I 'may' be available to help out. I knew that this was code for having said I would definitely be there to help. I reminded No Worries not to volunteer my services without consulting me first. I have come to the conclusion that the ever confusing female psyche has this endearing compulsion to nominate their husbands for virtually anything (except wearing a Koala outfit in the middle of Sydney on a hot summers day).

Fast forward a few day to the pizza fund raising day. During the morning I was in two minds whether I should go or not. After all I had not officially agreed with anything. Then the phone rang, well it sort of beeped rather than rang. It was the wife. She asked me if I was going to help out with the pizzas at lunchtime. I told her that I was still unsure. No Worries then asked me to ring one of the organising committee members and to tell them what I was going to do.

A few minutes later my mind was made up. I had decided I wouldn't have any time to help out with the fund raiser. I then rang one of the committee members to tell them. The following is a transcript of our conversation:

"Hi, I am ringing up about the pizza fund raiser". Said I

"Thank you so much for volunteering to help us out this lunchtime. No Worries told us that you would be there. Look, I have to go to the school now, I'll see you there at noon, okay?" came the reply.

"Erm, yeah, see you then" came my unenthusiastic response. Now I had no option. I had to go.

I arrived at the school just before the pizza delivery arrived. There was already 3 members of the organising committee there ready to get the pizzas organised for the children. Most of the pupils at the school had decided to have pizza for lunch with each slice costing $2. Both my gals had decided on one slice each. However, as I was to find out, each pupil could order as many slices as they wanted.

The pizza delivery boy (well, man really). Turned up in a truck and had more than 160 pizzas ready to go. Some were individually boxed but a fair few would have to be arranged as some children wanted 3 different types of pizza. We took all the pizzas into the hall and got to work organising which pizza belonged to which child.

I wanted to get this done as quickly as possible as I had to be somewhere by 1pm. So I frantically took a large number of orders and started matching up pizza slices to the correct child. I soon become amazed at how many slices some children were ordering. One girl had ordered 5 slices of pizza. I made a remark about this to another helper. I got a response back that I didn't expect.

"That's for my cousin's daughter. I don't know why she ordered 5 slices as she doesn't like cheese or vegetables. She's as skinny as a rake too".

I was lost for words. The first time in a very long time I couldn't think of anything to say to that response.

By now I was working up a sweat. I was running from one part of the stage to another with a bag in one hand and pizza slices in the other. I was determined to get this over as quickly as possible. Finally, it was all done. I bade my farewells and drove to my 1pm appointment.

The next day the Principal spoke to me and thanked me for helping out with the pizzas. She said that all the helpers spoke very highly of my pizza arranging skills. I responded by saying that I was glad to help out. Luckily, she didn't know the truth which was fine by me!

Comments

moodyblue2 said…
Any left I love pizza! :)
DNW said…
Nah, the kids ate them! Mind you, I make a good bbq pizza!!!!!
Anonymous said…
That's fantastic that you are willing to volunteer to assist the school and especially the children on your own time is wonderful. Well done.

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

Stalking by Bluetooth

1,000 hits and more to come!