Christmas In May?

"I quickly looked at my phone (its a safety comfort thing really). The month shown was May. I was stunned. So I hadn't been asleep for seven months...At this rate I would expect to see Easter eggs on the store shelves by October"

A couple of weekends ago I took my daughters to the local shopping centre. We were looking for some clothes for them as it is (finally - hooray!!) getting colder in Sydney. Yes winter is knocking on the door. This year the summer seemed to linger as long as a bad smell in a lift, or more accurately body odour on a Sydney train!

We were wandering around the centre and visiting a few shops, as you do, when we decided to go into one of the major stores. The gals love going shopping especially when it is for them! We looked at some clothes and found some sleepwear for them to wear during the chilly nights. They were very happy indeed! I have to admit I did choose well for them.

I decided to look at some books whilst there as I have always liked spending time looking at them. Give me a good book any day. My daughters too were happy as there were some Mr Men books for them to look at. Anyway, I noticed something hanging from the side of the book shelf. When I saw it I had to do a double take. Hanging from this shelf were Christmas decorations. There was not one but a few of them.

I quickly looked at my phone (its a safety comfort thing really). The month shown was May. I was stunned. So I hadn't been asleep for seven months.

Now, I know there is a Global Financial Crisis going on but to sell Christmas decorations so many months before Christmas is downright crazy! At this rate I would expect to see Easter eggs on the store shelves by October. Oh, and lets sell Valentine's Day cards in September!

Fast forward to a few days later and I was walking past a restaurant in my suburb when I noticed that they had Christmas decorations on the inside of the door and bedecked out across the eating area. Given that it was a Chinese restaurant I suppose its possible that they have got their months mixed up.

So, dear reader, what is going on? Is it an underhanded plot by the Government to bring forward Christmas to help stimulate the economy? Mind you, having Christmas holidays earlier may not be a bad thing. Or are shops trying to send subliminal messages by selling Christmas decorations many months before the event?

I'll let you decide as I look up a recipe for mince pies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

Stalking by Bluetooth

1,000 hits and more to come!