A Retro-Spective

"What was the song, I hear you say? Well thankfully it was not 'Achy Breaky Heart' by Billy Ray Cyrus (Miley's dad)...the group used to be called Satellite 1 before changing their name. That's probably a great place to put this song - on a satellite"

Last weekend No Worries and I were driving back from Canberra when I put a CD on. After all music is a great soother especially when driving from the ACT to Sydney. The CD being played was full of rock ballads which I hadn't heard for many moons. We were both enjoying the music (admittedly me more than No Worries) when the next song came on. As it did, I mentioned to my wife that it was one of my favourite songs of the Nineties.

As it came on No Worries instantly turned up the volume, much to my horror. Normally she likes turning the volume down and not up. No Worries immediately said it was one of her favourite songs of all time. We both sang along to it and then played it all over again! What was the song, I hear you say? Well thankfully it was not 'Achy Breaky Heart' by Billy Ray Cyrus (Miley's dad), but 'Hazard' by Richard Marx.

Later that day, when we were home, I decided to dig out the CD single version of Hazard. As I did I started to look at all the other CD singles that I had in a box and had not played or seen them for a long long time. I have to admit that now I am not sure why I bought them! I must have been on medication!

Anyway, I thought it would be a great idea to embarrass myself (call it character building if you wish) and let the whole world know of some of these songs. So without further a do, here they are:

1. 'Stairway to Heaven' by Rolf Harris. Without a doubt a great song...if performed by Led Zeppelin. Hearing the 'wobbly board' on this version makes you want to cringe. I can only assume that I bought it as I grew up on Rolf Harris when I was a child.

2. 'Coco Jamboo' by Mr President. This was Eurodance at it's worst. Why I liked it beggars belief now. Apparently the group used to be called Satellite 1 before changing their name. That's probably a great place to put this song - on a satellite orbiting the Earth! I think Barack Obama could have done a better version of this song.

3. 'Big Big World' by Emilia. As the song goes 'I'm a big big girl in a big big world'. Certainly not cutting edge lyrics. As I am not a big big girl or even a big big boy I now wonder why I bought it. The fact that the last place I heard it before buying it was Amsterdam might well explain my reasoning. Apparently she is competing in the Swedish part of the Eurovision Song Contest. Good luck, my dear.

4. 'Vindaloo' by Fat Les. A singalong British song that was sung by comedian Keith Allen, dad of Lily Allen. It's a real boozy pub type song that was released prior to the 1998 World Cup. Now I do like some footy songs, and am partial to a vindaloo now and then, but why the hell did I buy it? Answers on a postcard please!

5. 'Another Night' by MC Sar and the Real McCoy. Now I have to admit that when this song came out I truly liked it. However, hearing it again after a few years, I realise how cheesy it sounds. Was the 1990's the cheesy era? This was some more Eurodance pap from the mid-nineties. Fortunately their career was short lived much to the relief of music lovers worldwide.

6. 'Spaceman' by Babylon Zoo. I remember seeing the video to this song late one night and was really impressed with it. Naturally I bought it as soon as I could. It was a sci-fi cum dance cum rock song and was probably the first number one single in the UK by a Sikh performer (Jasbinder Mann). Nowadays it sounds excruciatingly bad. Though it does have a catchy chorus that gets stuck in your head.

Well there it is. A few of my most embarrassing moments from a musical point of view.

It should be said that my collection does house a number of great songs too. I like to think that I have some taste in music. Some of the best of my collection include:

'November Rain' by Guns 'n Roses; 'Wake up Boo' by the Boo Radleys; 'Zombie' by the Cranberries; 'What's up?' by 4 Non Blondes; 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica; 'Winds of Change' by the Scorpions and 'Brick' by Ben Folds Five to name just a few.

So there it is a trip down memory lane. If you have some cheesy or cringy songs of the past then please feel free to let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

1,000 hits and more to come!

Stalking by Bluetooth